I've switched boards as well and am working with a different RPi 3B+ now as it appears the previous board won't boot for some reason. As part of the switch, I've also reformatted the SD card. The "Remote I/O Error" problem with the BME680/read-all.py is still occurring. I'm going to order replacements for the PiGrover and PiWeather boards.
I re-wired the weather station in order to make sure that I didn't have anything wired incorrectly. I also made sure I have all my connections seated very tightly. In spite of that, I can still reproduce the "Remote I/O Error" from the BME680 sensor. The error goes away when I run testSHT30.py. Swapped cables to make sure it wasn't a bad cable. Swapped in a brand new PiGrover and no luck.
Ordered a replacement so will test as soon as possible. Good news: when everything starts up nicely, everything runs including the lightning detector! One positive of the tear down is that I installed my new laser dust sensor. Sincere tip of the cap to all of you on designing such an accessible and fun product on which to tinker.