I have successfully installed the RasPiConnectServer software on one SD card on my RPi, and this works correctly with my iPad Ap. However, I have installed the same system on two more SD cards, each of which I plug into the same RPi in turn; for these two cards, I can run the server on the RPi (and check that it is running), but cannot get a connection to the iPad Ap. I have followed exactly the same installation procedure in each case, and rechecked that I have entered the correct data in each case. When I return to the first card again, this still works. Could this be a problem with my setting up of the iPad Ap, or do you have any suggestions where else I should look ? Thanks !
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have checked the IP addresses in each case, and yes I have checked (in the way you suggest) that the server is actually running in each case. In fact I have set in the same fixed IP address for the system on two different SD cards; the RasPiConnectServer/config file is set up the same: in each case I can get the server running, but the iPad Ap responds when I use the first card but not the second ! So how does the Ipad Ap know which card I am using, when (so far as I can see) both are set up identically ? I must be doing something silly, but I can't see what.
Yes, using either SD card I send the same message from my PC's web browser, and get the response 'RasPiConnectServer 3.0', indicating that the server is indeed running. The two SD cards both have linux 3.12.22 Jun 18 2014. The only difference I can see is that the first card (the one that works) has an early version of RPi.GPIO (0.3.1a) on it, and my efforts to update this have failed. The second card has RPi.GPIO 0.5.5. This doesn't seem relevant, but it's the only obvious difference. Is there any way I can monitor the messages going between the RPi server and the iPad ?
Quick update: I have now added the debug window to my iPad Ap, and when I use the OK SD card in the RPi I see lots of interchanges between Ipad and RasPi, as expected. Using the other SD cards, I can check that the server IS running, BUT no activity on the Ap debug window. [think I chose the wrong forum, as this has to be a server setup problem - apologies. ] Very puzzled that I have carried out three apparently identical installations, but only the first one works (and I don't want to continue with that one as the GPIO has a problem). Might try reformatting one card and starting from scratch. Any other suggestions ?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, if I enter (in this case) 192.168.1.87:9600/Version on iPad Safari, I get the message saying the server is running.
I have tried reformatting one SD card, reinstalling raspbian and RasPiConnect as before; same result (server running, but not connection to iPad)
Tried stopping RasPi system, turning off router, turning on again, restarting RasPi. Still same.
On second iPad with Ap installed, I tried removing the Ap, reloading it and trying again. Still no connection.
I must be doing something very silly, like not entering the right information somewhere, but I have rechecked exhaustively and can't see any errors. Not sure where to look next. Is there a way I can monitor data transfer on the RasPi-iPad link ? (I have added the Ap Debug option, but this is unresponsive even on the working system)
You have two iPads. They are both behaving exactly the same. iPad-1, iPad-2
You have three Raspberry Pi SD cards. SD-1, SD-2, SD-3
They are not identical.
SD-1 works with both iPad-1, iPad-2 through RasPiConnect (and the Debug screen shows the activity, as does the RasPiConnectServer on SD-1)
SD-2, SD-3 does not work through RasPiConnect (no debug screen activity and no RasPiConnectServer activity on SD-2, SD-3)
iPad-1 and iPad-2 both connect to SD-1, SD-2, SD-3 through the 192.168.1.87:9600/Version
Is this correct?
I'm trying to establish a pattern here.
Could it be that iPads are retaining a MAC address (the address under the IP address - Level 2 OSI) when they shouldn't? Try doing a HARD REBOOT of an iPad (holding the circle button and the power button simultaneously until the Apple appears).
I'm thinking it is something in the SD-2, SD-3 web or TCP/IP stack. Well beyond the RasPiConnectServer software.
Have you done
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
on the SD-2 and SD-3?
We have never seen this, but I'll bet it's either setup or some version of software on SD-2 and SD-3.
We have run the app on a number of devices and our customers have run it on thousands of Raspberry Pis.
This is a new problem. I'll help you get to the bottom of it!
BP Thanks for reply. May I repeat your summary, with details corrected to current state:
Two iPads, both behaving the same Three RPi SD cards: all have linux v 3.12.22 Jun 18 2014. I have set different static IP address in each card: at present these are SD-1 192.168.1.88:9600 This card works SD-2 192.168.1.87:9600 Doesn't work,tho' server runs. (I reinstalled everything on this card) SD-3 192.168.1.89:9600 Doesn't work, tho' server runs
I have done the update and upgrade on SD-2 and 3 (I'm not touching SD-1 !) but will try repeating them. Currently I am getting NO debug output on the iPad or server activity reports on the RPi screen, but I'm not sure this is significant, as everything else is the same.
My family network guru has suggested I install Wireshark on the PC (done), and is lending me a hub so we can see exactly what is going where. My current impression is that with the non-working systems the iPad Ap sees the RPi, but doesn't get beyond this. Will let you know when I have something definite.
BP After further work I have realised that my problems have nothing to do with the iPad Ap (which is working well), and a lot to do with installing and running the RasPi server. So it would seem better to sign off here, and restate my revised view of the problem on that forum. Apologies for cluttering up the wrong forum !